One should know at least one method of how to get rid of diarrhea. After all, like cold and flu, this is one illness that everyone will suffer at least once in their lifetime. Diarrhea is more of an annoyance than a suffering, although usually it won’t affect your body as much as the other sicknesses. You got no control on diarrhea, but diarrhea controls you so better prepare some solution to deal with it.
What is Diarrhea & What are The Causes?
So, what is diarrhea and what causes diarrhea actually? Diarrhea is a situation or sickness which forced you to; at least three bowel movement in a single day. Most cases will be more than three per days though. The cause of diarrhea may vary, the common ones are:
- Inflammatory bowel disease; this one is painful and annoying. This happens when you got inflammatory in the lining of your digestive system. There are a lot of diseases that can be considered as inflammatory bowel disease such as crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are considered as this.
- Irritable bowel syndrome; this one is pretty similar to the first one. But instead of inflammation, this one is caused by irritation on your digestive system. The causes of the irritation also vary, but food allergy is probably the most common one. This can cause diarrhea, constipation, stomachache, or just bloating.
- Bacterial infection; when some bacteria invade your bowel, diarrhea happens. Some kinds of bacteria like the salmonella, coli or campylobacter are the common cause of diarrhea and other stomach problems. Antibiotic is the best solution for this bacteria problem.
- Viral infection; similar to the bacterial infection, but this one is caused by viruses. Some viruses which are notoriously known to cause the diarrhea are the norovirus and rotavirus. Because they are virus they will not be affected by the antibiotic.
There are various ways we can suffer from those causes; some of the most notorious sources are:
- Food allergy; this one is bad and directly affect your stomach, please make sure you do not consume anything that you have allergic reactions with.
- Intestinal diseases; the irritable bowel syndrome is one of these, if you feel that something is not right with your stomach, please contact your doctor right away.
- Contaminated food and water; diarrhea happens when you consume foods or water with low level of hygiene, this is the most common source for bacterial and viral infections.
There are a lot of causes for diarrhea and it will affect the seriousness of the sickness. Although most diarrheas will be gone after a couple of days, there are actually easy ways on how to get rid of diarrhea fast.
How to Get Rid of Diarrhea Naturally
In order to get rid of diarrhea effectively, it is recommended that you go to the doctor. But, it will cost you a lot of money and it’s pretty embarrassing. So, if you want some methods on how to get rid of diarrhea naturally, everything will be covered here:
- Any product with a lot of liquid in it. Diarrhea is a major cause for dehydration; you will be spewing a lot of your bodily liquid per day if you are suffering from diarrhea. Thus, it is very important for you to get that liquid back, so get those mixer and blender, put some fruits in and enjoy. Other advantage of this method is that you will not burden your digestive system any further with this, because food in liquid forms are easier to process than those which are still in solid forms and that means any nutrients and other good substances will be absorbed fully by your body, making your body stronger to counter the diarrhea.
- Try banana, rice, apple sauce and toast diet. This diet is also popularly known as the BRAT diet, this diet course is good for those with diarrhea because it will help you eating without hurting or burdening your digestive system any further. BRAT diet does not means that you should only eat those four things, you can mix it up with food of your choice, but please be considerate with it, foods with a lot of butter or oil is definitely a big no-no.
- Fighting the bacteria with bacteria, yogurt is also recommended for those who are suffering from diarrhea, especially if the diarrhea is caused by bacterial infection. There are a lot of bacteria species and varieties and those in yogurt are actually very good to our digestive system. If you are suffering from diarrhea, try to eat some yogurt at least twice per day, and your diarrhea will be gone in no time.
- A chug of peppermint tea, this one method is not very well known, but the peppermint is actually a good solution for diarrhea. Peppermint is already long been known to have a good effect on our skins, but only a few knows that it can help with our stomach problems too. Peppermint tea is easy to find and can be used anytime even if you are not suffering from diarrhea.
- Ginger is another traditional remedy for stomach problems, as one of the most useful type of herbs out there, ginger can be used for a lot of our health problem. Consuming ginger will help your stomach recover, ginger is not only good for diarrhea, but it can also help you with your cramps, stomach ache and throat problems. If you can really stand ginger, you can also substitute it with drinking the ginger tea; do not mix it with water if you can as it will decrease the efficiency.
- Chamomile tea is also a good substitute if you don’t like ginger tea and do not fond of the peppermint tea. Different to the two types of tea above, the chamomile tea does not have that strong smell; chamomile tea can be used to relax your digestive system and your mind. Chamomile tea can stop your diarrhea quickly, when you decided to drink chamomile tea, mix it with lemon water to increase its efficiency level.
- A fenugreek seed is a type of traditional remedy for diarrhea which is super effective for various stomach problems. The fenugreek seed is rich with mucilage content, this mucilage content is especially good to consume in order to counter various stomach problems; in which diarrhea is one of them. You can consume the fenugreek seed alone as it is or you can mix it with other food if you are not fond of it such as mix it with yogurt for a deadly combination and say goodbye to your diarrhea.
- This one method is very easy to make and is very healthy, unfortunately not everyone is particularly very fond of it. Eat carrot soup for your diarrhea problem, usually people only knows that carrot is good for your eye, but this one vegetable is actually is good for our stomach too. Carrot contains a lot of beneficial substances and supplements because you made it into soup, it will be absorbed quickly and easily by our body, making it easier for you to absorb those beneficial substances and supplements.
- Banana is other type of food that is good for your stomach problem. When you are suffering from diarrhea, you can survive by eating banana and banana alone. This fruit is tasty, cheap, and easy to find, it can also be used in tandem with various other foods. No matter how you eat it, it is recommended that you eat a lot of banana while you are suffering from diarrhea or other stomach problems.
- Drink a lot of water; diarrhea caused dehydration, so you need to drink a lot of water to counter it. It is recommended that you drink clear water instead of mixing it with anything else, drink water 8 cups per day and you will be fine in no time.
After you check out how to get rid of diarrhea home remedies method, this time you need to make sure that you will not suffer from it, these are some tips that is useful for everyone in order to avoid diarrhea:
- Make sure you wash frequently, not only your hands but anything that have to do with your foods. When you wash, make sure you use soap.
- It is also recommended if you use hand sanitizer for better prevention.
- When you are consuming your food, you need to eat it right away after it’s cooked, or put it in refrigerator before it was out in the open for too long.
- When you want to thaw frozen food, it is best to use the refrigerator, it might takes a lot of time, but it will decrease the possibility of bacterial and viral infections big time.
- If you travelling to another country or area and is afraid that the food won’t be suitable with your stomach, ask your doctor for some prescription antibiotics first. Be sure to check the foods in that said country first too and avoid things which might upset or cause allergic reaction on your stomach.
- And the last but the most important thing, if you watch what you eat and what you drink carefully, you will not need any of the methods listed in this how to get rid of diarrhea article.